Friday, December 17, 2010

War & Peace

A short history lesson.  America declared war against Vietnam in 1964 and our troops arrived the next year.  In 1972, the US military started to withdraw and we signed the peace treaty in 1973.  Saigon fell in 1975, allowing for reunification.  Diplomatic relations with the U.S. began in 1995.

I was just a kid when the war started.  It ended while I was still in High School, so I never had to sign up for the draft.  What a relief.  Although it was in the news constantly, I was not interested - partly due to fear.  We didn't learn about it in school, because it was too "recent."  The history that you live through as a kid is often lost.  This is one of the reasons why I chose Vietnam, to understand more about war history, but in a safe way.

Young people in Vietnam hardly ever talk about the war.  It's almost like it never happened.  Some of the older folks probably carry a grudge, but they will talk about it if you ask them.  For most Americans, the image of Vietnam is clouded by war memories.  Maybe we are getting over it.  I see many more Westerners (Americans, I presume) at the war history sites than Vietnamese.  It's really strange. 

I've been to the infamous "Hanoi Hilton" - for American POWs.  I saw John McCain's flight suit, but not Jane Fonda.  I visited the War Remants Museum in Saigon and the Cu Chi tunnels - it was an amazing experience.  I thought that you might enjoy seeing some of "our" shared history.  It makes me really glad the war is over and now we live in peace.



 
       











1 comment:


  1. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete